Ayi Mensah Borehole Project – Ghana

NPCA and WC logos

This project is made possible through the partnership of WATER CHARITY and the NATIONAL PEACE CORPS ASSOCIATION.

Ayi Mensah Borehole Project - GhanaLocation
Ayi Mensa, Ga East Municipal District, Greater Accra Region, Ghana

Community Description
Ayi Mensa is a village in the Ga East Municipal District, a district in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana.

The community is located between Oyarifa and Kitaase, about a 45-minute drive from the capital city of Accra. The majority of the people are Ga’s and Ewe’s, with a population of about 1,200 people, including children.

About 80% of the people engage in peasant Farming and the other 20% are involved in trading and other businesses. Women especially engage in roadside selling to pay for the living expenses of their families. Products sold are bread, gari, popcorn, plantain chips, soft drinks, biscuits, agbele, kaakolo, and sometimes chickens and other animals.

Some of the crops that are grown by the people are cassava, plantain, cocoyam, banana, papaya, pineapple and corn. Foods such as fufu, ampesi, gari forto, banku, kenkey, akpele are mostly eaten by the people of the town.

About 80% of the people are followers of Christianity, 10% Muslims and the other 10% are non-believers.

Ayi Mensah has one government basic public school and numerous private ones that provide access to quality education.

Ayi Mensah Borehole Project - GhanaProblem Addressed
In the past, people living in the area relied mainly on water from the river and rainwater for their daily needs. However, due to excessive cutting down of trees along the catchment area, and climate change, the river goes completely dry during the months of January, August, October, November and December. During these dry periods, the only access to water is by crossing a risky highway to fetch water from a rock opening about 5 feet away from the roadway.

Project Description
This project is to build a borehole, powered by an electric pump, and to install a poly tank for water storage.

The borehole will go deep into the ground to about 65 meters.

Other activities will include:

– Pressure pipes installation
– Pump installation
– Molding of concrete/block structure for tank installation
– A water meter to monitor the water usage
– Half-inch PVC pipes will then be linked from the meter into the tank and a tap fixed to access water.

Ayi Mensah Borehole Project - GhanaProject Impact
1,200 people will benefit from the project.

Project Administration
The project will be implemented under the direction of Nana Kudjoe Kesse, Executive Director and Chief Operations Officer of H2O Africa Care. Nana previously completed five other borehole projects.

We are grateful to Solomon Amuzu, of Call to Nature Permaculture, who is providing additional assistance and oversight.

Monitoring and Maintenance
H2O Africa Care will implement the project and monitor its success after completion. The H2O team will conduct a check visit twice a year to ensure the smooth running of the system.

In addition, the community leaders will appoint an able person to run the facility. A small amount of money will be collected from each home for the repairs and maintenance.

Project Funding
The funding for this project has been provided by an anonymous donor.

If you like this project, please make a general-purpose donation to Water Charity, so that we will have funds available to immediately start our next project in Ghana.