Conclusion of School #15 Bathroom Project – Ukraine
To read about the beginning of the project, CLICK HERE.
The project was to purchase and install four new sitting toilets and two new tanks, and to fix the leaking pipe in the bathroom of School #15.
We have finished the project at Melitopol School #15.
Upon receiving the funds from Appropriate Projects we went straight to work. One plumber and another gentleman who works at the school worked together to remove the old broken squat toilet structures, the old sink (they used money from parents for this), and the broken leaking pipe.
They had to wait until the late fall break to start working on the project because school was still in session. One of the bathrooms was fully completed following the break, but the other was delayed. Work continued, with completion set for early summer.
Once all of the new equipment was installed and water was flowing, everything worked fantastically. The pipe no longer leaks, there is no longer water all over the floor of the bathroom, people can wash their hands in the new sinks and the toilets function properly.
A week after it was finished I went to School #15 to talk with the teachers and students. They were thrilled with the new toilets, pipe, and sink. They were happy about not having to crowd the one bathroom on the first floor and now the toilets are closer to more students on the second and third floors.
This project has been a success and has improved the water sanitary situation at School #15.
We are grateful to William for completing this project and for following up upon the completion of his Peace Corps service.