Conclusion of Nakarara Primary School Well Project – Tanzania
The project was to upgrade the well at the primary school to provide water for the use of students and teachers, as well as for irrigation of the school garden.
The well has been completed.
We started by holding meetings and preparing a detailed budget with the school committee once we got funding. I went to town with one of the members to buy the non-local supplies such as cement and metal building rods.
School children helped to break up the existing well and clean it out. They also brought water and sand, and helped with building when they could. The local craftsmen then waited for a dry period to finish the well and cover it with a plaster strengthening agent. With 2 helpers, they worked for 3 weeks straight making bricks and laying them in the well.
Water Charity funds were used to pay a small labor fee, for cement, and for new tin to cover the top and keep out contaminants.
Right now, the well is filling up with rain. The water will be used for drinking by the students and teachers when the rains end some April/May.
This was a tremendous project for my school. It will help many, and has taught them a few things about project management. I feel it forced them to work within a budget and work together to complete a project. Thank you so much for the opportunity!
We are grateful to Charlotte for completing the project, and again wish to thank those who contributed. We are still accepting donations for this project.