Conclusion of Gonte Borehole Project – Ghana
This project has been completed under the direction of Nana Kudjoe Kesse, Executive Director and Chief Operations Officer of H2O Africa Care. To read about the start of the project, CLICK HERE.
The project was designed to build a deep borehole to provide for the water needs of the community.
A contract was awarded to a local drilling company and the community provided labor during the project implementation. The project was completed in 10 days.
Below are the steps the project went through:
• Our team informed the elders of the village when funds received from our partner organization.
• A meeting took place between the H2O team, drilling company and chiefs and elders of Gonte.
• Together with a selected team from the village, the H2O team and the drilling company, a suitable place was found 500 meters away from the living environment.
• Chiefs and elders prayed to ask for protection and successful implementation.
• The drilling truck came on site the following morning and within 4 hours of work, the expected volume of groundwater was reached at 68 meters deep.
• We then continued with the installation of the water pump, laying of pressure pipe, the building of a concrete platform, and installation of a 2,500L water tank.
• A tap was then fixed to collect the water.
• A soakaway pit was then built to catch excess water flow.
• A closing prayer was said, showering a lot of blessings and encouraging words to H2O, Water Charity and everyone who contributed towards this life-changing project.
• A huge sheep was then donated to the H2O team as a way of showing appreciation.
Here are comments from members of the community:
• “May the maker bless you!”
• “We are glad to have a constant flow of water now.”
• “We don’t have to hand pump water again.”
• “Tell Water Charity we really appreciate their support.”
• ‘Long waiting to fetch water is over and over.”
• “The surprising comment was, we need to install you as a developmental chief – followed by laughter.”
To conclude we would like to say a very big thank you to Water Charity for their continuous support in our work.
We extend our thanks to Nana for completing this important project.