Conclusion of Emmanuel School Water and Sanitation Project – Kenya
This project has been completed under the direction of Raymond Orenda, Co-Founder, Organic Food Kenya (OFOK). To read about the start of the project, CLICK HERE.
The project was designed to construct a latrine and rainwater catchment and storage system at the school.
1. SCOPE OF THE PROJECT:
Emmanuel OVC School water, sanitation and hygiene project aims to serve 80 pupils, teaching staff and the surrounding community with clean, safe drinking water, and a clean and hygienic latrine.
2. SPECIFIC WORK DONE:
– Construction of a one six- door pit latrine, dug by the school management and the community members.
– Supply of water to the school.
– Installation of a water tank of 3,000-liter capacity for rainwater harvesting.
– Provision of hand washing facilities, with a 500-liter water tank, with a tap and soap.
– Provision of sufficient sanitary towels for the 38 girls at Emmanuel OVC School.
– Training the stakeholders on the benefits of preserving environment.
– Training the committee and school management to ensure that cleanliness is maintained, and monitor sanitation practices.
– Technical designs and drawings to guide construction, water tank system installation.
3. PROJECT OUTCOME:
– Sufficient, secure and clean latrine for pupils, teaching staff and community.
– Availing clean water supply to the entire Kodera Kamiyawa Village and its environs.
– Reduced time wasted in fetching the basic commodity, water, by both the pupils and the community members.
– Good standard of hygiene which reduces disease.
– Better school attendance for both girls and boys. Both pupils and staff are motivated when there is clean and conducive environment.
– Improved Quality of health and wellbeing for pupils and the community members in the target areas.
After completion, it was determined that the following results had been effectively achieved:
– Clean drinking water for pupils and school staff and surrounding community members.
– Clean and environmentally friendly pit latrine for the EMMANUEL OVC SCHOOL pupils, staff and surrounding community members.
– Enough sanitary towels for 38 girls at Emmanuel OVC school.
We extend our thanks to Raymond and the team for completing this important project.