Bira Public Latrine Project – Senegal
Bira, Tambacounda Region, Senegal
Bira is a rural farming community of about 1,500 people located halfway between Dialocoto and Missirah in the Tambacounda region of Senegal. The village is about 70% Jaxanke, with the remaining 30% Pulaar.
The village is located 7 km off the main road, and is surrounded by fields, forest, and other small communities in fairly close proximity. The people survive primarily off of subsistence farming of peanuts, corn, millet, and beans. Though many of their family members are working in Spain, efforts to work with these people to fund public projects have not been successful.
There is no running water or electricity, and no educational opportunities beyond elementary school. The Health Post serves not only Bira but the surrounding villages as well, and is understaffed, with only one worker.
Many members of the community do not have access to a latrine. This leads to them being forced to go to the bathroom outside, close to living (and cooking) areas. This practice lends to the high rate of sanitation-related illnesses, especially in young children.
This project is to build ten simple pit toilets in public spaces. They will be placed in locations on the outskirts of the village, to give all community members access to them.
The latrines will be 2 meters deep and covered by a cement platform, with a covered hole to prevent flies from entering.
Project funds will be used to buy the materials needed, including cement, iron bars, wood, and mats to build privacy enclosures.
Community members will transport the materials to the village. They will also be responsible for the construction of the latrines, as well as hiring a mason as needed.
After the completion of the project, causeries will be held on the importance of using latrines, hand washing, and the role of poor sanitation in common illnesses.
300 people will benefit from the project.
Peace Corps Volunteer Directing Project
Although there are private latrines in the village, this effort to build public latrines will be a great benefit for those who do not yet have facilities and to all villagers when they are away from home. The project utilizes great community support and needs only a small amount of money for materials.
Dollar Amount of Project
Donations Collected to Date
Dollar Amount Needed
$0.00 – This project has been fully funded, through the generosity of the Elmo Foundation.
We encourage others to continue to donate using the Donate button below, and we will notify the Peace Corps Volunteer of your donation. Additional funds will be used to fund the next project by the PCV and/or those of other PCVs in the country of service.
This project has been finished. To read about the conclusion of the project, CLICK HERE.